Monday, January 12, 2015

Vegenaise

Well I did it. I spent the majority of my weekend in the kitchen. I made a creamy and yummy homemade Chicken Salad, Gluten Free Chicken Picatta, & Vegenaise. The shocking part of my time spent in the kitchen Voguing with Madonna, Startin' Something with Michael Jackson and all while cooking... is that afterwards my husband tried all of my recipes and LOVED them. 

Now listen, this is a picky man we are talking about here. A man who does not like cheese nor apple pie!! So for him to like it, not fake like it...but like it as in ASKED me if I could fix him a plate because it was so GOOD liked it! Well, let's just say it made this woman extremely happy and a tear of joy may have been shed! 

I followed several different Vegenaise recipes online. However, I always like to make things my own. So I looked over a few and came up with the following recipe that I used as the base for my Chicken Salad: 

Vegenaise


Ingredients:
  1/2 cup sweetened almond milk (most people use unsweetened soy...see below for an additional note) 
  1/4 teaspoon Organic apple cider vinegar
  1/4 teaspoon Organic honey
  1/2 lemon juiced
  1/2 teaspoon Organic Dijon mustard
  1/2 cup grapeseed oil
  1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Directions:
Place all the ingredients except the extra virgin olive oil in a blender on high-speed until creamy. With your blender on a low speed, slowly stream in the olive oil to thicken the mixture. If any of the mixture gets on the sides, scrape it down and mix again. Season to taste. Feel free to add more salt, pepper, mustard, lemon, etc... Place in a Mason Jar and refrigerate. Before use, shake the jar.

I used this in place of mayonnaise for my chicken salad and it was divine!
*Note* It was slightly thin like a dressing so if you want a thicker consistency use Whole Fat Soy Milk instead of the Almond Milk. Once it sits in the fridge for a while, it will continue to thicken. Please give this a try and let me know how you like it.
Love, 
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment