Friday, January 9, 2015

Introducing My Lifestyle

Many of you have been asking 

"What do you eat?" 
"How did you lose weight?"
"Are you sure you can't eat this, eat that?"

I have lost 30 pounds in a little over 3 months. This has become my reward for a change in my lifestyle that was a priority to make. I had been suffering since 2002 with terrible stomach issues. We won't even go there. But trust me or ask my family, friends and co-workers....it was imperative something change. Doctors couldn't help me, removing my gallbladder couldn't help me, medication couldn't help me. Only prayer and eliminating foods by trial and error mixed with years of research have I been able to calm the monster within. 

While I am not 100% well, and let's face it, I may never be. I am 75% better and to me, that is AMAZING and life changing. I actually caught myself several times thinking something was wrong with me because I haven't been used to my new tummy. I guess I thought I should be spending more time in the restroom...as I always did. But anyway, said we weren't going there. SO....

Here are some of the foods I have in my home

Notice:
1. No Dairy
2. 75-85% Gluten Free
3. Organic
4. Free Range Products
5. Non-GMO products
6. Little to absolutely no soy products
7. No soda
8. Sprouted Grains
9. Vegan (although, this isn't a complete requirement for me) I do eat animal products. Except red meat. I haven't had red meat going on 9 years.

When I shop, I look for all of the requirements from the list above. Sometimes I can find products that make me feel like I have hit the lottery. Products like the below that make me happier than I probably should be. Products that have everything I need/want in one.


So I will break my list down for you and tell you why I have chosen to live this way

1. No Dairy

Dairy messes with my stomach very badly. I just can't do very much at all. Also, I encourage you to research what is really in the milk you consume. Even most Organic Milk.

2. 75-85% Gluten Free

While I am not 100% gluten free, I have noticed I am gluten sensitive. When I eat mainly gluten free products, my tummy is happy. Someone suggested I may have an allergy to gluten and suggested I try to eliminate it from my life. So I did some research. When I found out what gluten is, honestly it was easy to make the switch. Actually, the name gluten is derived from a glue-like  sticky network of proteins.

3. Organic

 I will just let this picture do the talking for me. Tomatoes on the left, non-certified organic, were purchased over a month ago... tomato on the right was purchased less than a week ago.

Um....why haven't the tomatoes I purchased over a month ago turned yet?

4. Free Range Products

Blame the animal lover in me. While I still eat meat, I have this thing for the treatment of these animals prior to consumption. 
"A free-range chicken is a bird that is allowed constant access to the outdoors, with plenty of fresh vegetation, sunshine and room to exercise. Moreover, it has not been given any chemicals (antibiotics, for example) of any kind." 
To me, this more humane than animals that are caged, pumped full of chemicals, and living a miserable life.

5. Non-GMO products

What is GMO? I'll just quote a few sources and let you sit and think on this for yourself. I believe you will soon understand why this is just WRONG!

From Wikepedia: 
  1. GMOs are the source of genetically modified foods and are also widely used in scientific research and to produce goods other than food.
  2. "GMOs are foods biologically manufactured in laboratories – injected with new DNA, viruses, herbicides, insecticides and/or other chemicals – to be resistant to synthetic chemicals and are completely different than hybridizing techniques allowed by nature." "In 50 countries there are significant restrictions or outright BANS on GMO's." (Vani Hari - Food Babe)

6. Little to absolutely no soy products

Soy containes Carrageenan: "Although derived from a natural source, carrageenan appears to be particularly destructive to the digestive system, triggering an immune response similar to that your body has when invaded by pathogens like Salmonella." No wonder my tummy was bothered all the time! Even when I eliminated dairy and began drinking Soy Milk. It seemed my stomach was worse when I consumed Soy Milk.

7. No soda

I am not even going to go into this because it honestly requires a blog entry of its own. But trust me!!!!! PLEASE STOP THE SODAS

8. Sprouted Grains

A sprouted grain is lower in starch than a regular grain and it also has higher levels of protein, vitamins and minerals. All around, it is just better for you.

9. Vegan 

While I am not a vegan, I eat more vegan products now than I used to. I do this simply because of the benefits/nutrients I gain from eating vegan. Vegan products have reduced saturated fats, antioxidants, protein, magnesium, potassium, fiber, Vitamin E and Vitamin C just to name a few.

So, there you have it. I could seriously go on and on, but you would lose interest. I just wanted to share what I have been doing and why. What have I gained?

Healthier body and mind
Healthier skin
Weight loss
Increased Energy
Less stomach issues
And my Fibromyalgia flare-ups only occur now a few times a month instead of a few times a week.

Hope you enjoyed this and have taken something away from it that will make you want to incorporate these changes into your lifestyle. Yes, it can be expensive and it has to be a priority on the budget. However, I believe in the long run you will save more money because you will spend less time sitting in the doctors office with high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease and more!

Love, 
Rachel

2 comments: