Friday, January 30, 2015

My First Pizza

I just had my first pizza. Okay, not really my first pizza. But, it is my first in a while. I did attempt a gluten free pizza from Domino's several months back, but was extremely ill afterwards. My body just did not like all of the other ingredients, I guess.

I have been craving a thin crust, crispy, flavorful slice and after a very long week and I knew that tonight I needed a certain element of comfort. So I took matters into my own hands to create my very own delicious "masterpiece".

I was scared, I admit. I enjoy taking recipes I find online or dig out of the vault in my recipe box and making them my own by adding and eliminating ingredients. But to just wing it tonight without a proven method of deliciousness or reading reviews from others who have tried it and loved it was a little scary for me. I was hungry,  I barely ate today and I just wanted to enjoy a moment with good food. I couldn't mess this up.

This pizza is gluten free and vegan friendly. This pizza is crispy and delicious. This pizza had flavor and completely satisfied my need.

Rachel's Tomato, Squash, Zucchini, Pine Nut Pizza

Preheat oven to 375

Ingredients for the sauce:
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 golden grape tomatoes
Salt to taste

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until pine nuts are roughly chopped.

For Pizza:
Thin gluten free pizza crust
(I will take the time to make one from scratch soon; tonight wasn't the night)
1/4 of a whole squash thinly sliced - almost transparent
1/4 of a zucchini thinly sliced - almost transparent
1 small tomato of your choice
Pepper to taste
Daiya mozzarella style shreds (or a dairy free cheese of your choice)

Once you have blended your sauce, brush over the entire pizza crust.

Layer your remaining ingredients and top with the dairy free cheese.



Bake for 10-12 minutes and then turn to broil for a remaining 3-5 minutes. Be careful to continue to check back every minute or so to make sure you aren't burning your pizza. Allow to cool slightly,
slice, kick back and enjoy!

I really enjoyed this pizza. It completely satisfied me and I am looking forward to exploring more options with my toppings. Dealing with IBS and gluten sensitivity really limits what I can and can't have. However, I am learning that I can indulge in the healthiest way possible and I couldn't be more thrilled!! 

This journey is long, it is tiring at times and it has been boring some days. That being said, I am experimenting and expanding my research for all options to find out that I can live this way and be completely satisfied! 

Let me know if you try it and what you think. 

Love,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment