Wednesday, July 30, 2014

May We Be Positive

It happens to me constantly. People are rude and it annoys me. I speak only to be met with silence. I pity myself because there isn’t enough time in the day. I look in the mirror and see I am not “skinny” enough. I check the bank account and see I am not “rich” enough. I work a 9-5 and dream of the day I can work on my own creatively, at home or in my own studio.

I wonder to myself, do I really have an outlook on life that will take me where I need to be? Am I positive enough? Do others consider me a positive person? Am I working towards being kind and optimistic? How can I be positive when the world around me is so full of negativity?

I have come up with 5 ways to force myself into positivity and I would like to share them with you in hopes that maybe you will benefit in some small way.

Gratitude
Yes, it is hard to give thanks when your car won’t start or when you’re searching for your phone and running late for work. It’s less than easy to be thankful when dirty clothes are piled high after a long day and all you want to do is rest. However, I have been teaching myself to be thankful for these things.

Running behind? Thankful because maybe there is an intervention occurring which is preventing an accident I could have been in the middle of.

Clothes piled high? Thankful that I have clothing choices, even on the days I scream “I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!”

Long, boring day at work? Thankful I have a job that allows me to pay my bills. Even on days I have to rob from Peter to pay Paul.

Choosing to be thankful for your home, cell phone, car, job, food, heating/air, bed, pets, spouse, children, parents, and freedom opens your mind to all you really have and are not lacking. Being grateful makes you happier; being happier increases positivity.

Giving
It’s exciting when you can make someone else smile. The world is full of bad news, people in poor health, poverty and more. Giving takes the focus off of your problems for a moment and produces an overall sense that maybe the world is good.

Walking to the checkout line? Pay for the few items the little lady behind you plans to purchase.

Paying for gas? Add $10 to the person’s car who just walked out to pump only $5 and have the attendant go tell them. Or better yet, tell them yourself when you walk out and enjoy the smile and appreciation that gleams in their eye.

Notice the car behind you in the fast food lane has children? Tell the cashier you’d like to buy them ice-creams as a treat. Ask her to tell the family “It’s been taken care of.” You can drive away imagining the surprise on their face.

Giving doesn't always have to include money. It can be letting the elderly man with his cane or the woman with a screaming baby break in front of you in line. You can offer to carry someone’s groceries to their car when you see their hands are full. Even taking an old bicycle that you plan to set out by the road to the boy down the street will fill your heart and their heart with happiness.


Compliments
Everyone has a bad day sometimes. We walk past people all the time who are struggling with their own worries, problems, or decisions. A compliment produces positive energy and eases tension not only for the recipient, but for the giver as well.

The compliment must be genuine, however. Don’t just throw any accolade out. Mean it!

Did a co-worker just rock a presentation? Tell her!

Think the UPS man has a nice smile? Tell him!

Love how funny your neighbor is? Tell her how her humor makes you happy.

Compliments are powerful in brightening someone’s day. Noticing good qualities in someone boosts your mood and trains your eye to be on the lookout for what’s good in the world.

   Excitement
“What are you most excited about? That’s the key. It’s the purity that pays off every time. Never mind that your idea or the work at hand may be daunting and unreasonable. Out of your various intentions, goals, opportunities, or projects, what are you most enthusiastic about.” Danielle LaPorte

I admit I've been struggling lately in the excitement department. Give me something I don’t want to do and I’ll agree outwardly, pout inwardly. But give me something I love and I’ll be beyond happy. I've been teaching myself that with every task at hand, fun or boring, convenient or inconvenient, there is something to be excited about.

Have to stay an extra hour late at work? Overtime pay!! Yay!!

Need to run an unexpected errand for someone out of your way? Hey!!! Alone time in the car with music and peace.

Excitement is contagious. When others around you see that you are choosing to be happy and energized instead of angry and irritable, it will rub off on them. It will rub off on you, too. Excitement about small things can cause an outbreak of silliness, laughter and fun.

Forgive
Forgiveness is hard. What if someone bullies or offends you? What if someone hurts you deeply and gets away with it?

Revenge or forgiveness?

Forgiveness is a state of grace for others and for you.
Revenge is causing someone else pain to justify hurt.

Revenge just doesn't work. While it’s natural to get angry when someone hurts us, retaliation brings out the worst part of self and causes negativity to grab hold and cause lasting grudges. It burns bridges.
Forgiveness lifts us to a higher level of well-being. It produces strength and peace amidst internal turmoil.
While it might not be healthy to be friendly with someone who continually uses or hurts you deeply, it is okay to forgive and move on. Forgiveness for others allows forgiveness for you.  It creates a positive atmosphere for healing and growth.

I have needed to evaluate my attitude lately. This may be more for me than for you. I am not perfect. Who is? Things don’t always go my way, but I do have the power to choose how I will respond. It’s very easy to let jealousy, bitterness, and all those other negative things to junk up our lives. It is work to remain positive when we are surrounded by bad news, rude people, everyday problems or just plain evil.

That’s why I created this list for myself. Sort of like a plan, a goal. I am trying to step outside of myself and into a happier and healthier life spiritually and emotionally. I wanted to share with you in the hopes that maybe something will touch you enough to spring you into action. Maybe something here will resonate within you enough that you will want to give it a try.

Here is to positivity and the power it holds. May you smile today, give yourself some grace, and see even the slightest annoyance as a possible blessing in some small way. May I do the same for me and may we all be thrust into the future we want while we attempt to take the positive route.


P.S. It’s okay to have bad days and feel down. Let’s just not get stuck in that rut. Forgive yourself and move on when you notice negativity creeping in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment