Friday, February 20, 2015

New Beauty Routine

So many things have been happening lately that I honestly haven't had the time to catch everyone up on where I am with my lifestyle change. I am researching and learning many new things so forgive me if this post is all over the place. I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

As you will probably see over the next few posts I am in love with coconut oil. I used it earlier in the week in a recipe that you can find here and I have become hooked. Not only have I been cooking with it more (look for recipes soon) but I have also started using it as a main staple in my beauty regimen. My hair and skin have never looked and felt better.Along with consuming only water and hot tea (occasionally organic lemonade or grape juice) to give my skin and hair moisture, coconut oil has really given me a glow.

How I use Coconut Oil for my hair

1. While I am in the bath (I don't take showers) before I wet my hair I take about a teaspoon of Organic Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil and run it through my hair. It is difficult to get the coconut oil out of the jar as it is in a solid form, but once it gets on your hands and you rub it, the heat from your hands will melt it. I really concentrate on the ends of my hair first. While it sits in my hair, I proceed with washing my face with my normal face wash.

2. I wet my hair and wash with my regular shampoo. I have read different ways to make your own shampoo from coconut oil by adding apple cider vinegar. I have plans to do this, but for now I stick with my go-to shampoo.

3. After I have rinsed my hair thoroughly I will then put another teaspoon or two of coconut oil in my hair as a conditioner and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This step can be done about 1 to 2 times a week when you have the extra time. Also, I am afraid if I do this daily, my hair will become too greasy. Taking a comb or brush, I spend about 3 minutes running it through my hair.

4. Finally, I shampoo once more and allow to towel dry if I have the time. If not, I will blow dry it on a low heat while styling.

I suggest doing this for the first time on a night when you don't have to go anywhere the next morning just in case it looks greasy. This way, you can have a day or two shampooing your hair without using the coconut oil to remove excess oil.

How I use Coconut Oil for my skin.

1. I have replaced my shaving cream for coconut oil. The razor glides smoothly over my skin and leaves my legs feeling and looking silky smooth. It is great for under your arms. Bonus: It won't irritate your skin or leave you with ingrown hairs or bumps.

2. After I bath with my regular soap or body wash, I take a handful while I am still in the tub and apply it to my entire body, including my face. Then I rinse off with water and towel dry by patting the moisture from my skin.

3. Finally, after all is said and done and I have my comfy PJ's on, I apply it to my fine lines and wrinkles and use as a lip balm.

I have really enjoyed how it has made my skin and hair feel. Even my husband has noticed and commented on how silky my hair and legs are.

Here are two images. The first is of my hair, excuse the quality of the picture. The second is one I took this morning before getting out of bed to show how clear my skin looks and how clean and smooth it appears.

Neither of these pictures have a filter. Coconut Oil is AWESOME!!!


Let me know if you try it and how you like it!!!

Love, 
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment